If you are getting ready to start a new assignment or just beginning the traveling lifestyle, you may want to take a look at this. Life as a traveler is super exciting; But when it comes to packing your things away to move to a different location, it can be stressful. From boxes, moving trucks, plastic tubs to finding the perfect place to put your travel snacks in your car, here are a few tips to make the most out of your move and have a stress free drive:
- Start by packing emergency items so they don’t get lost in translation when you’re packing up the rest of your belongings. Keep this emergency kit in the glove box so it is accessible when you need it.
- Use vacuum seal bags for packing the bulkier items like sweaters, coats, and scarves. You will have more space in your car if you use one of these rather than a box.
- Pack for life on the road. Keep wet wipes, tissues, and several plastic bags for trash in your car.
- Make sure you have jumper cables, a working flashlight, oil, duct tape, batteries, and work gloves for potential car trouble.
- Have on hand bandages, gauze, antiseptic ointment, tweezers, and hand sanitizer for a first aid kit. You can either make your own by shopping at Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, or Target. Or you can purchase one so you won’t have the hassle of getting all of those items ready.
- Take full advantage of the overhead luggage carrier and get some strong cords to hold your belongings.
- Put anything that you need in reachable distance like chargers, wallets/purses, water. If it’s open, put those things in the passenger seat.
- Mount hanger bars in your moving boxes for the clothes that MUST be on hangers.
- Try to balance out your heaviest items within the car.
- Keep your back window clear of all items for your safety and the safety of others.
The most important tip of all is: make the most out of your trek with some good music, audio books, snacks, and a positive mindset for your new adventure.